Mahesh Lunch Home Juhu – Crab and Wine Festival
Mahesh Lunch Home Juhu is a restaurant that strives to live up to its name. This was the 16th year Mahesh Lunch Home, Juhu has been hosting the ” Crab and Wine’ festival. It began on 15th Sept and is on until the 17th of October.
With over 30 dishes on the special menu, one can enjoy deliciously prepared crab delicacies paired along with complimentary wine on every starter/main course.
It was blogger’s table once again and there was the only crab on my mind. Crabs in every form, and from every land.
Ambiance at Mahesh Lunch Home Juhu
The “Giant-size orange crab” was up again greeting all diners at the entrance. The overall ambience is cool and classy. Huge crab cutouts adorn the walls above the dining tables. Outside the restaurant, there were live crabs in cages, I even lifted up one. Thank God its claws were tied. By now I was really hungry and all set to savour the crabs on the menu.
The Mouth Watering Menu at Mahesh Lunch Home
The specially curated menu has nearly 30 crab dishes from soups, starters and Main Course and the best-aged wines from their cellar.
- Chilli Corriander Crab – This was a boneless dish, wok fried crab meat tossed in corriander and light spices. Very enjoyable indeed.
2. Honey Mustard Crab – I have never ever savoured a dish with such a perfect blend of flavors. The soft shell crab bursting with a sweet, tangy spicy masala that had gone deep into the shell. It was so messy to eat, that I felt a bit embarrassed eating it in front of my fellow bloggers, however, when I saw them doing the same, I didn’t care. So Finger licking good!!
3 . Indonesian Kitam Bunkis Crab – Spiced and steamed over charcoal in a banana leaf. A tad bit salty but tasted delightful with appams. And went well with a paired wine.
4. Singapore pepper Chilli Crab – One stunner of a dish, reminded me of my trip to Singapore and enjoying this National dish of Singapore at JUMBO’S. Authentic taste, the sweet and spice combo was spot on.
5. Thai ( yellow curry paste) Crab – Again a boneless crab meat cooked in yellow curry paste and infused lemongrass taste. Mild subtle flavours, now I was craving for more.
The starters were devoured but yet we wished to taste some, so here is part two with the main course dishes.
1. Thai Chilly Basil Crab Curry – This was a delicious de-shelled crabs cooked in Balinese style smooth curry cooked with basil laves and coconut milk.
2. Crab Meat Bhurji – You have to experience this at any cost. It’s a bhurji with shredded crab meat and served with buttered pav. Sweetannu recommends strongly.
3. Mangalorean Denji Curry – The colour and aroma of this orangy glazed curry made me salivate profusely. However, I was expecting some more from this dish. Wish the masalas were tempered some more to bring out the authentic Saraswati flavours of the curry. Crabs were cooked spot on.
4.Kothmari Chimbura Saar – Another stunning curry, coarsely ground and cooked in Malvani style corriander green paste. Have it piping hot with steamed rice. Slurrpppp Slurrpppp!
I would like to thank the staff and patrons of Mahesh Lunch Home Juhu for extending their warm hospitality. And advice to all my fish loving, crab crazy friends to get there before the 17th of October.