Oats – The Superfood!! Benefits & Health Recipes
Our daily cooking at home can be made easy, full of variety, and tasty without compromising on nutritional richness. And now you will ask me how? Well, firstly we can add superfoods that are rich in nutritional values. Oats is one such versatile superfood that can be consumed to prepare main course dishes, desserts, and healthy treats. Firstly, let us learn about its benefits in our diet, its versatility to make various dishes or one can say Oats – The Worlds’ Healthiest Versatile Food.
Oat is a very popular gluten free grain which is rich in minerals, antioxidants and vitamins; also known as the healthiest grain on earth. Though not so popular in India but it’s getting an entry in Indian kitchens now. In the present times Oats are being relished and enjoyed more than before.
Oat and Oatmeal
Oat is a whole-grain food, which is also scientifically known as Avena sativa. The grain takes really long to cook hence pressed oats are a preferred option while cooking. Pressed oats take very less time to cook.
Why Oats is recommended in a diet?
1. Oats is gluten free and a good source of fibre that improves overall stomach & gut health to relieve constipation.
2. Oatmeal also contains soluble fiber called beta-glucan which helps to improve insulin and possibly reduces blood sugar.
3. It contains minerals, antioxidants and vitamins that the body needs on a daily basis.
4. The rich-n-soluble fiber found in oatmeal, makes you feel fuller. The feeling of fullness helps you reduce the meal size to achieve your weight loss goals.
5. Oats contains antioxidants and fiber which will aid to reduce the bad cholesterol affecting the heart. Enterolactone and plant lignin that is found in oats also help to keep the heart healthy.
6. Overall health benefits of oats are: it is good for skin, increases immunity, cures acid reflux and helps in building muscles.
How can Oats be used in your diet?
There are multiple ways you can consume Oats. Savoury or sweet – both make delicious meals for weight watchers. It is a preferred breakfast option globally. However, we also see foodies including it in daily cooking like rotis, soups, granola bars, cookies and other baked items. Oats can be used in so many more different ways.
1. Use rolled oats to thicken soups and gravies instead of corn starch.
2. You can puree oats with water to make oat milk. It is the best option and substitute for milk; especially for people on a vegan diet or allergic to dairy products.
3. It can work as a good binder for patties, tikkis, cutlets etc.
4. It can be added to thicken your fruit smoothies so as to make it even more filling and nutritious.
Oat Granola Bowl
Oats can be relished cold in the mornings with your favourite fruit and nut toppings. You can use a variety of toppings to enhance the taste. Throw in a few nuts, fruits or granola and top it off with cinnamon powder and honey. Here is my quick and easy recipe – Overnight Oats Breakfast Bowl
Oat Cookies – An easy Diwali recipe to make during the festive season. Click here to view the #CookwithSweetannu recipe.
Healthy Breakfast Granola – It is a healthy version of the regular sugary granola. You can make healthy Granola using oats, ghee, nuts, cardamom powder and honey.
Peanut butter cookies – A post-workout treat to dunk in a glass of cold skimmed milk. This peanut butter protein cookie recipe is a creation of my sister Farzeen.
Oats Upma – Have you tried to make a Vegetable Oats Upma for morning breakfast? It is light on the tummy, easy to cook, and delicious to eat.
For strong, healthy, and nutritious food simply add Oats The Superfood to your regular diet. Do it now!! Thank me later!! This post is a part of My Friend Alexa Season 5 with Blogchatter. You can also read my previous post – Improve your Quality of LIfe.