Parsis are well known for their non veg cuisine like salli murgi, patra ni machi, dhansak to name a few. We need our meat to chew on, even in the veggies. So the popular dishes like, papeta ma gosht ( Potato with mutton gravy) papri ma margi ( flat green beans with chicken). Infact any vegetable can be cooked with meat, chicken or fish. However a very well known Parsi Lagan nu Stew is a pure vegetarian dish. It is a mixed vegetarian sweet-sour stew cooked on special occasions and eaten with chappati. It’s a dry dish but yum nonetheless.
I attempted to stir up a Parsi stew or ishtoo as they call it. The occasion was celebrating vegetarian cuisine all over India with the #SUBZITARKARIDIN – an grand initiative by Rushina Ghildiyal on 31st March.
Check out the simple recipe I used to make this dish. The recipe below belongs to an old Parsi friend who insisted I try it out. Even though I make a similar stew with the same ingredients, don’t deep fry the vegetables being health conscious. But today was a special day so I was all set to cook up the best.
- 1 cup Carrot Cubed
- 1 cup Sweet Potato Cubed
- 1 cup Elephant foot Yam Cubed
- 1 cup Potato Cubed
- 1 cup Green Peas Boiled
- 1/2 cup Fresh Chopped Coriander
- 4 Large Onions Chopped
- 2 Tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 2 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tbsp Chili Powder
- 1 Tsp Sambhar Powder
- 1 Tbsp Vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Sugar
- Handful of Raisins
- Salt to taste
1. First chop all the vegetables in small cubes.
2.Then deep fry each of them separately. Drain on tissue and keep aside.
3. Parboil the peas, strain and cool.
4. Fry finely onions in oil till browned.
5. Add ginger garlic paste, turmeric, chilli powder, sambhar powder and stir on low flame.
6. Add the fried vegetables to the onions.
7. Now add the green peas, vinegar – sugar, raisins and chopped coriander saving a little for garnish.
8. Cover and cook for 10 minutes.
9. Add salt to taste.
10. Remove the stew in a serving dish and garnish with the rest of coriander leaves.
11. Now its ready to be served with hot rotis.
Do leave a comment if you have made stew or have a similar recipe. You may also like to try out Parsi style Akuri .