Parsi Sagan ni Sev Recipe
The Parsi Sagan ni Sev is a Parsi recipe of a sweet dish cooked up on special occasions like Navroze or birthdays. It is served with lots of fried nuts and a dollop of sweet curd. The preparation of Parsi Sev is slightly different from the regular one made in Indian homes.
In a Zoroastrian household, all auspicious occasions like birthdays and anniversaries, ‘Sagan Ni Sev’ is prepared without fail. It is served along with sweet curds and is eaten at breakfast. It is even distributed to the neighbours early morning so that they can savour it for breakfast. I prepared Sev on Jamshedji Navroze Morning for breakfast and decided to write down the recipe to share with everyone.
Also, must add that in my young days I have watched Culinary Expert Katy Dalal prepare sev herself and remember her giving me some vital tips during that session. Happy to share this easy yet skilled recipe with you too, so read on.
- 250 gms brown vermicelli crushed into bits
- 2 to 3 tablespoons ghee
- 8 to 10 tablespoons of sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 1/2 cup each of raisins and charoli
- Melt ghee or oil and fry the chopped mixed dry fruits and keep aside.
- Fry vermicelli in homemade ghee till dark brown in colour
- Make a chasni of water, sugar, essence and cardamom powder. The main tip here is to slowly add a little bit of water to the sev and cook with a lid on till the water dries up. Then add the chasni little by little cooking the sev with the lid on. This will ensure that the sev gets cooked well without sticking together.
- Garnish with the fried charoli and kishmish
Relish with friends and family
HAPPY JAMSHEDJI NAVROZE !!!
You can also check the Parsi Bhakra Recipe here.